I’m very serious when I shop. I don’t just buy things willy nilly or on a whim. I shop to win. Nothing drives me crazier than to buy something and then see that I didn’t get the best deal. I’ve listed my shopping strategies below for everyone to use for their ultimate items and save money to re-invest in more amazing treasures. Remember, shopping is like war. To the victor goes the spoils (shoes).
1. Scouting Parties: Shopping for the best deal is a war of attrition. You need to scout out what you LOVE, and then keep checking back for it to go on sale. I have a routine where I keep checking my favourite stores to see when my prize sweater or amazing shoes go on sale. I keep my visits frequent until I don’t think my target item will go any cheaper or I risk the chance of losing my size–and then I pull the trigger. Buy it with cash and celebrate your victory. If it doesn’t go on sale or I lose my size–I didn’t really want it that badly.
2. Love it or Leave it: Make sure that when you buy, you buy something that makes your heart go “thump”. Buying because you’re bored, your friend bought something and you feel you need to also, or because you just got dumped is no way to shop. Make sure that when you try on that sweater or swirl in that dress it gives you butterflies. You’ll wear it a hundred more times than something that you kinda like. Plus, think of all those extra sweaters that you half-like sitting in your closet. If you hadn’t bought them you could have allocated their costs toward your ULTIMATE something, something.
3. Buy Classics: Make sure that when you buy, you buy good quality, classic products that you won’t have to pitch next season. We are all about the average cost per wear over here. A classic piece is timeless and contributes to your clothing basics. Keep in mind what classics you still need to buy, and when shopping hit them up first.
4. Befriend the Sales People: If you’re charming and lovely with the sales people they’ll tell you when things are going on sale, hold things for you, and invite you to the friends and family nights. Allies are crucial in retail reconnaissance.
5. Save the Money First: Make sure you have the money saved before you buy anything. This allows for you to truly enjoy the product without any money malice. Open a savings account and deposit your budgeted allowance for shopping into it. Make a list of everything that you want to buy in priority. If you see a fierce fleecy thing – add it to the list. When you have enough cash to buy the number one shopping priority on your list, and it’s the right price, strike!
These strategies will help you to get things for the best price and guilt free. It makes shopping more enjoyable and gets you more bang for your buck. You are now master of your mall jungle!
Love your money and there will be way more to love,