My friend, Andrea from the popular blog Healthy and Delicious , and I teamed up to host a dinner party that was delicious, nutritious AND cost effective. Many people believe that healthy food is expensive but we were able to feed five people, a fantastically delicious dinner, for under $100.
This is how we did it!
1. Shopped at No Frills for EVEN organic food. Nutrition stores and markets are great for some fresh organic foods but if you need organic chickpeas or tomato sauce in a glass bottle, No Frills saved us 75% on those items. Markets are the best place to buy your veggies, meat, etc.
2. Make a stew! Stews are very cost effective and can feed a ton of people. You can get good quality organic veggies, meat and spices and it’ll end up being a win, win meal.
3. Ask everyone to bring their favourite drink to keep down the expensive liquor fees. If everyone brings a beverage, you’ll have tons to go around.
4. Make enough for leftovers! I’ve been having the extra salads with my lunches and found different ways to serve up the leftover stew. I’ve had two lunches and another dinner all from the original $100.
5. Make simple sides and desserts. We had a pickle, and olive plate to start. Simple kale salad with mushrooms as a side and cheeses and charcuterie for dessert. Simple, economical and delicious.
6. Take back all the empties from the booze. I made a whopping $2.60 from my empties. 🙂
The best part of dinner parties is the company. I had my brother and close friends over to enjoy their company, enjoy good food and wine and not break the bank. What is better than that?
Have an awesome week,